IASFA Monthly Free Book Deals – how do they work? Why are we doing them?
- Build an exclusive IASFA marketing email list to benefit our members
- Benefit our members by getting their full-book free samples in front of a new audience in the effort to gain new readers
We put an open call to authors for each genre on the website (iasfa.org). We only have sign-ups open for one promotion at a time to help us manage the books.
- The free runs are only five days so both premafree and those in KDP Select can participate
- Full books only (more than 40k – an omni edition of novellas or shorts would work as long as the volumes total words was more than 40k)
- Only IASFA members can participate
- Sign up, following the prompts – be sure to use a universal link for your title since IASFA readers are around the world
- A few days prior to each month’s promotional run, we’ll send a media package to all IASFA members to support and promote as they wish. Those with books in the promo are required to hit their list during the promotion. Anyone else, we appreciate the support if you can give the promotion a shout.
- On the morning that the free run starts, we will double check all the books to make sure they are indeed free and that BookFunnel and StoryOrigin downloads do not have any secondary email collection
When a reader clicks on the “Get Free Books” link…
- They are taken to a generic collection page that gets their email
- After they’ve signed up, they will get a confirmation email with the link to the download page
- If the reader had already signed up, they will get an email directly from IASFA in the first afternoon (US time) of the first day of the promotion.
- On the download page, readers have to click through each title to see if they want to download it. There is no one-click download of all titles, so your cover and blurb to entice the reader is on you.
- Once on the IASFA NL list, they remain on the list unless they unsubscribe. They only need to subscribe once and they’ll get the email each month at the beginning of the five-day free run
The monthly free run dates and genres are as follows. This is the link to sign up for whatever is current (for example, Alien Sci-Fi opens on February 15th for sign-ups and closes on March 7th to give us time to make sure the reader download page is working as its supposed to).
Epic Fantasy Feb 10-14
Alien Sci-Fi Mar 9-13
Urban Fantasy Apr 13-17
LitRPG/GameLit/Cyberpunk – May 11-15
Post-Apoc Jun 8-12
Dark Fantasy Jul 13-17
Sci-Fi Romance Aug 10-14
All Sci-Fi Sep 14-18
All Fantasy Oct 12-16
All Urban Fantasy Nov 9-13
Space Opera Dec 14-18
Easy as that. We will refine our monthly emails with the media package and include other information related to the IASFA.All of this will improve over time as we get better and better at how we present these works to the readers who support SFF authors.